New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Peacock Steamed Fish 绰绰有余 - CNY spread #2



I didn't hunt down any peacock for this dish. Nor peahen. Nor its chicks or egg.
It's just the method of arrangement that resembles a peacock. The auspicious Chinese name I gave this dish 绰绰有余, means, more than enough. And the 绰 (cheok), sounds like the Cantonese pronunciation for peacock.



I saw this method of steaming fish for quite a few years on Chinese websites. It's the perfect method if your fish is too big for the wok and you don't have a plate that is long enough to hold it. Chopping the fish into half is not presentable. And for Lunar New Year, according to customs, the fish needs to have the head and tail, so that everything will be abundant whole year long. 年年有余,有头有尾.

I used this method twice, and twice with very long fishes, almost 2ft long each.

This was my 2nd attempt with a large Threadfin, steamed for CNY 2014's reunion dinner

I kept the seasoning simple, with fried garlic and garlic oil, chilli and spring onion. I just used bottled Lee Kum Kee Steam Fish sauce  and doused it accordingly. You can use any sauce you like.

I also didn't cut it like it like how the website slice the fish. They did it like a fan. I sliced the whole fish thoroughly. This way, everybody can take a slice of the fish, without needing to dig.

My 1st attempt, with a long Snakehead, 生鱼



It's easy and pretty.
So, no need to pull your hair if someone gives you the task of cooking a big and long fish, and plus present it nicely. You can try out this method.

No recipe for this time... but just sharing a method I found that enables me to steam a long fish in a presentable, yet convenient way.

each one take one slice..... easy right?




4 comments:

  1. wow... so pretty and creative. thanks for sharing.

    Ade-SG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. A great dish to serve during CNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing looking dish! Just awesome! Thanks for sharing Wendy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...