New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, May 13, 2013

Rhubarb Cream Cake - Rhubarb #1



I have been waiting for years that one day I will have enough for a week's posting. LOL.

Rhubarb is sooo expensive here that just 3 pcs of foot long stalks costs me around RM10.
I'm blessed to have an aunt who will now bring back rhubarb for me from Australia, and she just planted some few months back, gleefully telling me she'll harvest them before flying back each time, if there are. So most probably, I'll have more rhubarb recipes in my blog.




Now for this cake.... I consider myself failed.
This cake wasn’t supposed to look like this, LOL.

The rhubarb and cream should have sunk! The sunken rhubarb and cream should form a creamy custardy base for the cake, but mine stayed on top. The original recipe called for a boxed cake recipe, but since I’m no fan of boxed cake or any cake mixes, I made up my own yellow cake. Maybe my batter was too firm, that’s why it stayed put and didn’t sink. Instead my heart sank when the rhubarb didn’t sink. Muahahaha.
Instead of turning soft and custardy, the baked browned cream gave the cake a cheese like feel and my reader friend Jaymie, whom I shared this cake with thought so :-).

It also slightly caramelized the rhubarb and mmmmmm….
The rest is up to you to imagine…


Rhubarb Cream Cake
by WendyinKK
Makes: 9 inch square cake or 2 smaller cakes

Batter
150gm butter
100gm sugar
3 egg yolks
2 eggs (grade B)
Zest of 1 lime
200gm all purpose flour (9.0% protein) + 1 tsp baking powder

Topping
250gm rhubarb, sliced into 5mm thick pieces
100gm sugar (do not reduce)
200ml cream (35% fat)

1. Preheat oven at 160(fan)/180C and butter a 9 inch baking dish (I made a 6X9 and a 6 inch round)
2. Prepare batter. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add in eggs one by one, beating well after each addition. Sift in half the flour + BP. Beat on low speed until combined and scrape the bowl again. Sift in balance of flour +BP and mix until everything is combined.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan and level the surface.
4. Sprinkle the rhubarb pieces over and then sprinkle the sugar. Gently pour the cream all over the rhubarb.
5. Bake for 1h15m, or until done (smaller cakes takes a shorter time)



4 comments:

  1. I have not tasted rhubarb before, saw it being sold in an upmarket grocer and nearly fainted at the price tag lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, I also don't like those ready cake mixes. So, did the cake taste good? I have not eaten rhubarb and have no idea how it taste like. And at that price, I probably won't buy lah hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi , wendy . thanks for the recipe . BTW , what is rhubarb in chinese ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeannie,
    Oh no, then dun go near it!


    Phong Hong,
    Good la, hahaha!


    Anonymous,
    http://translate.google.com/#auto/zh-CN/rhubarb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...