New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Cherry Tomatoes, a surprise from the soil - Random Sunday


My hubby took this pic under the instruction of Lydia,
"Papa, take the picture like this, my hand only!"
 
I throw a lot of things into my garden.
Things I never thought would grow, did grow.
Like my strawberries! They are growing well, but not flowering, I wonder why?


I had a pack of squished flat cherry tomatoes that got forgotten in my crisper.
I threw them into my garden divider to that they will rot and turn to compost.
As usual, the memory rots together with the discarded



One day... I saw something in my divider..It was actually started growing the same time as the mysterious plant. I touched the plant, it has a smell, I think it's edible.. haha, again. I just let it grow.. no idea what it was.

Then.... one fine day, it flowered. I still don't know what it is. My MIL who had been doing some gardening in US, saw the flowers and said, hey, you have a tomato plant in your garden?
I went "What?" , tomatoes? I totally had no idea how it got there.
My MIL told me, she had a few tomato plants back in Arkansas, which is why she knew.


the first bunch!


grows taller and more flowers!


Lydia the Explorer checking the tomatoes.... she's very excited about them
 When it fruited....... and the fruit turned red when it was still eeny meeny, only did we confirmed it's a cherry tomato plant. Not only one, but 3 plants with 2 different varieties.
Only then did I remember about the squished cherry tomatoes I once threw in.


more fruits growing.........


finally... ripening

yellow round ones

From what I learnt in Pomiculture, tomatoes needed a low temperature to turn red, I never expected mine to look so red. Actually I never imagined I could have tomatoes in my garden. LOL. Moreover red tomatoes,  Hahaha.....

We harvested quite a sum of cherry tomatoes over time, and only 1 person consumes it. It's the picker herself. She loves tomatoes and we let her have it all. She will pick them whenever she sees it turn red and keep it in her tomato box.




I'm hoping more will sprout since we discarded a few more, kkekekekeke.



she's so happy after picking her babies


Lydia wasn't satisfied with this pic, she said, Papa, don't take my face! My hand only!


I just found out I have another surprise growing from discarded bits! I think it needs another 6 months to show you what it is. Have to wait for it to fruit!

29 comments:

  1. "Fruits of labour". Beautiful cherry tomatoes. I think next time you can give more advise on gardening on this blog as well; so I can learn to grown fruits too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel,
    Haha, actually no labour at all, it grew on its own. The only labour was to water and pick, kekeke.
    No advice la, I just throw into the soil only, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Wendy, somehow plants grow better when you just ignore them. When I purposely want to plant something and fuss over it, the result is not consistent. And somehow, those that grow from the compost by itself do extremely well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wah......you are so lucky....I've tried many times but it does not grow tomatoes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a joy to have vege or fruits growing in yr own garden. My second batch of tomatoes are growing again..hopefully it will bear as many fruits as it did with the first batch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ..... and having green fingers too !! Wow !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those shots of yur daughter holding the tomatoes - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really got a green hand..keke whatever u planted all turn so well. If for me sei loh sei fai dit haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...such a lovely surprise to spring on you just like that! Hope it bears lots of tomatoes for Lydia to pick and eat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea...that is really a surprise...your land worth money lo...can plant tomato plant and harvesting them....:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phong Hong,
    I don't have a compost heap, but my food waste is all over the garden :p


    Hody,
    Hmmm.. I also dunno why.


    what's Baking,
    I wish u lots of tomatoes too yeah. Mine is half dead now, LOL



    Mai Lin Too,
    LOL, I really dunno why and how.. hahaha



    Esther,
    My hubby took those ;)


    Jes,
    maybe my house got morning mist...maybe that's why


    Lite Home Bake,
    It was sooo exciting seeing the first fruits, seriously exciting ;)



    Elin,
    U want to buy my house?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wendy,
    Is food waste referring to those vegetables or peels which are not cooked yet?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so envious! I tried planting plants and water them diligently and yet they died on me! You just need to discard rotten fruits and they grew into a fruitly plant! I love those cherry tomatoes too, taste so good on pizza and salad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sem,
    Mine is raw. Rarely have cooked food waste, except bones. Sometimes after boiling herbal tea, I also discard them in the garden


    Jeannie,
    LOL, I really dunno why.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wah, so nice and they are in nice red! how nice if we can throw some money in the garden and it starts to grow hor?

    ReplyDelete
  16. lena,
    Can, my garden can be ur deposit account.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wah! throw and then it grows? Me no such luck. I touch them and they die. hehe. Your cherry tomatoes look so lovely. Next time when I feel I am dying, throw me okay? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quay Po,
    I promise I'll be gentle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Same as Quay Po. Plants can only live for a month max under my care then it will dry up and wither away - no matter what I do with them :(
    But I love the cherry tomatoes..must be sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Here in UK tomatoes grow quite easily - but I find they need to be started early in year so the fruits have a chance to ripen. I thought it was warmth and sun that helped them do that as some people grow tomatoes in a "greenhouse".

    I hope this means you will try more gardening :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wah, your cherry tomatoes look exactly what I bought at Jusco leh. So fresh. Can plant in a pot? So far what I planted all tak jadi.
    Does your compost give out any mouldy smell n worms crawling around? I takut; I usually throw all the vege peels in the trash. Should learn from you .. green project at home.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Plum Leaf,
    With this garden that I have, I am already gardening, but mostly edible plants.


    Esther,
    I dunno leh about pots, this one also came out by accident.
    My garden has lots of milipedes and they are good! Love them! They help digest the food waste and what they expel is fertilizer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. wendy, where's ur house? u plant in pot or ground ah?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Genie,
    I am in Perak.
    It's in my garden divider, a concrete structure raised 1 ft from the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Enjoy reading yr blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Did you throw the whole ripen tomato or cut open, with seeds spilling out?
    Were they buried in the soil or left out in the open?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lilly,
    Whole cos they were half rotten,left on the soil just like that only

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice photos. How long did it take to grow and fruit? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  29. Warren,
    sorry I have no idea as they sprouted out of surprise I didn't even take note of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...