New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, June 29, 2012

Beef Stew with Mash - Beef Week # 3



I made this for my friends when they came to visit me during Chinese New Year Day 4 this year. Almost each year, my home is the "tempat" for this event. *Tempat means place in Malay

Some of my friends are big beef lovers and don't consume pork. Not all eat beef as well, so I made another pot of pork porridge suitable for the kids that my friends are bringing over too. Each year, at this time, when I have a bunch of BIIIIIG  eaters over, it is a good chance for me to try making things that I find it hard to finish on our own. And this a good make ahead dish. I don't need to wake up really early and prepare lunch for them.

Well, as most of you know, Chinese New Year is a time of travelling, be it far or near. I am always not at home, either at my in laws or some relative's home. So, I cooked this the day before my friends come. Threw the ingredients into the slow cooker and left it running with a timer. The moment I reached home that evening, the stew was already done and I left it as it is until the next morning.

Before you decide to let the slow cooker cook using a timer, please understand your pot. Some pots evaporate much, some don't. Use sufficient water when you do this unattended.


I referred to Emeril's recipe, a non red wine version. It was so near to the new year. that going shopping for ingredients will be such a hassle with the crowd everywhere. So I only made do with whatever I already have in my fridge, and adjust it to my personal preference.

I don't want to comment about the taste myself, hahaha, let my friends who have tasted this let you know. If not someone will say I blow my trumpet, hahahaha!
Oi Lai... please comment ah!

Beef Stew
Recipe by: WendyinKK
Recipe referred: Emeril Lagasse

900gm beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
400gm carrots (2 cups, peeled and cut into chunks)
400gm tomato (2 heaped cups, cut into large cubes)
3 ribs celery (sliced, one cup)
2 clove garlic
1 cup chopped red onion
2 bay leaves
Few sprigs of fresh thyme
2 sprig of Rosemary (6 inches in total)
1 tsp white peppercorns, cracked (with the back of a cleaver)
1 tsp black peppercorns, cracked
1 tsp beef stock powder (or use 1 beef stock cube)
2 cups of water or more (or use beef stock)

1. Heat slow cooker on high.
2. Heat wok and put in 2 Tbsp of oil. Brown beef cubes. Dish up(drain properly) the beef and transfer to the preheating slow cooker. Retain the oil in wok.
3. With the oil, on medium low heat, sauté garlic and onions until fragrant, put in cracked pepper. Cook until onions are soft and translucent. Put in bay leaves, rosemary and thyme.
4. Put in carrots and celery and cook until they are heated through.
5. Put tomato onto beef in pot (no need to stir)
6. Then on top the tomato, put the cooked carrots, celery and everything else from the wok.
7. Put 1 cup of water in wok, bring to a boil (the water will turn brown from deglazing the wok), pour the boiling water into the slow cooker.
8. Add beef stock powder and more water until it almost covers the vegetables. (1-2 inches from the top)
9. Let it cook on high for 2 hours, then turn to low for another 4 hours. Add more salt if needed.
10. Serve it with mash* or some bread.

*You can use the Mash recipe found here. But it's not the mash seen here, no recipe because it was made by feel.

Pictures taken with my friend, Sam Leong's Sony Nex-5.
Compared to my 5 year old Canon 350D, I prefer mine, kekekekeke.
Less saturated, less "auto-fixed" and better detail with Canon 350D. In short, more real.

17 comments:

  1. Beef stew is my favourite. Use to cook this when Im staying abroad but now rarely. Do you use local been or ...? I find local beef seems to be rough and took longer time to tender the meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear, i'm mas, writer for online kitchen...i would like to featured ur blog in our online magz..would u mind to get back to me for further discussion.. contact me at chokodoxchumel@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I luvs beef stew! Think I must really go get a new slow cooker after seeing ur recipe! Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so lucky that got chance to eat the beef stew,really tasty,just melt when inside the month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is also another one of my favorites. Just chuck everything in the pot and it comes out so delicious. Great idea for CNY, less hassle. OK, next year CNY no more cooking nasi minyak heh..heh...heh....

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos still look good anyway, because the food looks good! I would so enjoy it this winter especially with the mash and bun to soak up the gravy! Reminds me of KFC mash, bun and gravy...haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only see that these photos showed a very delicious looking dish and I am salivating just looking at them! YuM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy, may I know what's the settings when u took the photo with your canon 350d? The photos look fantastic! Mind to share? :)

    KL babe

    ReplyDelete
  9. KL Babe,
    Eh, I'm a noob la, using the 350D like a point and shoot only.
    Sometimes I use P, sometimes I use Macro, but most of the time is P.
    If it's dark, I raise the ISO.
    That's it. I don't know the rest. I think mine is on auto mode. I really dunno much about the camera or about photography.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow!! So yummy. I just made a beef stew too! But this looks really good! Must try next time!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendy,
    looks yummy. i dont have pressure cooker - can i use normal pot?

    ReplyDelete
  12. canvaslisa,
    I don't own a pressure cooker too.
    Yup, why not? Just watch the pot as it cooks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Wendy
    I would love to cook this beef stew. May I know which part of the beef should i buy to cook this dish? Thanks.
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  14. Caroline,
    I just used frozen Indian buffalo that came in blocks at the hypermarket.
    Stews usually don't need goot cuts as the long cooking time will cause them to distergrate. The long cooking time ensures good flavour :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wendy,
    I've tried your beef casserole yesterday, it taste good...but it's quite liquidy....the meat already turned soft and easily tear but the gravy is very watery, like soup, not like yours..where have I gone wrong?

    TEL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Also, did you brown your beef in batches? I did mine all at once...

    TEL

    ReplyDelete
  17. TEL,
    My onions are all melted.
    I used pink onions, maybe yellow ones are firmer, if you used that.
    I also used good tomatoes, meaty fleshy ones.
    Mine is not very thick, like a good thick minestrone, there's some consistency, but not too thick. If it's too liquidy, you can thicken it with some flour+water.

    I browned my meat all at once, the wok can accomodate it easily.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...