New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, June 25, 2012

Baked 3 Layer Beef Pie - Beef Week # 1



Recipe tried in 9 March 2011

When I ate my first mouth of this……. OMG, this is good. That’s all that came into my mind.

My hubby went ummmm, Lydia gave me a big thumbs up and a very wide smile, Lyanne said nice, nice nice, my MIL quickly asked me the recipe, Mike’s aunt said tasted very delicious, my BIL quickly savoured his first piece and took seconds and thirds, too busy to say anything but to eat. Hahaha!!

At the end of the meal, we all felt satisfied, very satisfied. The kind of feeling that you’ll get after a good meal.



Thanks Deliah for this recipe. Although I adapted much of her version, the recipe idea is still hers. I made the pie on impulse and used up whatever I could find in my fridge.

According to The Free Dictionary
Adapt:- To make suitable to or fit for a specific use or situation.
Adaptation- Something, such as a device or mechanism, that is changed or changes so as to become suitable to a new or special application or situation

My adaptations include :
1. Switching milk with cream for the bread (haha! Super cream lover)
2. Switching peas with fresh mushrooms
3. Switching tomatoes with ketchup because I didn’t have any tomatoes on hand.
4. Using oregano instead of mixed spices.
5. Boiled my potatoes first instead of cooking together with the beef because I want to cut short the cooking time.

*When I credit my recipe source with the word "adapted", it means, I have made adaptations, as in changes to suit my situation. If you took any recipe just as it is, adapted is not a suitable word. Just my 2 cents, sorry about that.



The rest are pretty much the same, except for the amounts used, jack up a bit here and there, reduce here and there. Basically, the general idea is still similar.

Baked Three Layer Beef Pie
Recipe adapted from Deliah’s Deli by WendyinKK
Serves: 6

Filling
250gm minced beef
1 cup chopped onions
3 cloves garlic, chopped
½ tsp ground oregano
200gm fresh button mushrooms
2 russet potatoes (400gm)
4 Tbsp ketchup
1 tsp salt or more
Pepper to taste
6 slices of cheddar cheese

Butter for greasing baking dish

Bread layer
18 slices of squarish sandwich bread (Gardenia, because it's thinner, the older the better)
4 large eggs (1 cup)
1/3 tsp salt
200ml whipping cream (or you can use half cream half milk or all milk, whatever it is, just make sure the liquid is about the same amount as the egg)
50ml water (you can use milk or cream as well, but I used this to rinse the measuring cup : P)

Preparing the Filling
1. Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Meanwhile, peel and cube potatoes into 1cm cubes. Boil potatoes for 5 minutes on medium low heat until cooked but not mushy. Drain and set aside.
2. While the potato is cooking, chop onions, garlic and button mushrooms.
3. Heat a wok/pan and put in 2 Tbsp of cooking oil. Put in onions and garlic and sauté until soft.
4. Put in minced beef and oregano. Cook until it almost dries up.
5. Put in chopped mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes or until softened and it seems to release water.
6. Put in ketchup and salt and drained potatoes. Mix it all around, turn off the heat and set aside.

Assembly
1. Preheat oven to 200 (fan)/220C. Butter a 9X13inch baking dish.
2. Beat eggs with salt until disintegrated, it won’t take long. Combine with cream and water (or milk if preferred)
3. Dip one piece of bread into eggs and arrange on pan (Do not soak the bread, but use quick swift moves. I like to use the end pieces to line the base). Fill the base with 6 pieces of bread, squishing them to fit if necessary.
4. Spread half of the filling over dipped bread and spread around. Tear 3 pieces of cheddar into smallish pieces and distribute them evenly over the spread out filling.
5. Repeat dipping of bread and arrangement and spreading of filling and cheese
6. Dip the final 6 pieces of bread and arrange them over the filling. Pour extra egg mixture over the bread if there is extra.
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Let pie rest for 15 minutes before cutting.

36 comments:

  1. Oh my..... isn't that a delicious beef pie? Wow, looking at the recipes content, it sure is a long one. Thought it must be difficult to make. But sure must be real yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing, and so good to know it got such good reviews from your family! You sound like me when you cook, change what you have to due to what you have on hand or what your family likes! Can't wIT TO TRY IT.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly looks really good Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wah! What a neat idea...a pie without having to use crust or mashed potatoes. Saves a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! this is a winner alright! Love the fact that I dont need to do up the pastry :p just have to use bread slices. Yummy! and what more mushrooms are my favorite. I will definitely make this one Saturday morning for Wild Boar and myself ! Thanks for the recipe...not only your MIL asked for the recipe, I will too if you did not post the recipe for us :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy, i must try it out!
    BTW, just curious if you have substituted whipping/heavy cream with evaporated milk before? I tried it on the apple cinnamon pie you posted the other day, it tasted pretty good. I also wonder if you can try it once with evaporated milk and tested the differences? Thanks and keep up the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel,
    Looks long, but easy to execute ;)


    Lyndsey,
    there's no strict rules to cooking, and if I have changed it and it doesn't taste good, I don't blame the source, My fault! LOL.



    leo,
    thanks


    Sharon,
    Yeah, Deliah's got the bright idea!


    Elin,
    I make this for u and u make the salmon eggs for me, hahaha! Want?



    Wendy Sia,
    I did, when I was younger and cream is not easily available, that's what i did.
    But... it seems similiar but it's not the same.
    For savoury dishes, evap milk lends a slightly sweetish taste due to the lactose in it, and cream doesn't taste sweet at all.
    And fat content is different.
    The amount used in the apple french toast is minimal, but this in this recipe, it's a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MUST try this out... would it taste as good as chicken. I don't take beef. Looks so good. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wendy, this one fantastic lah! No need to taste I already know it is delicious. This is my next project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! Initially I though u used the pie crust..sounds like easy..can I replaced chicken with beef?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mai Lin and Jes's Deli Corner,
    Chicken should be fine, and I think pork should be great too!


    Phong Hong,
    Hahaha, let me know when u get it posted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh gosh, it does look super delish comfort food! Too bad we don't eat beef at home...wonder if pork or chicken will be just as yummy. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm w phong, this is my next dish! Great idea and totally doable for a no-bake person like me. Thanks for sharing this. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for sharing another wonderful idea to clear the sandwich bread. As I was reading the recipe, I am thinking of adapting this into something that I wanted to attempt...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bright Blessings To You Wendy & Family :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bee,
    Should be fine!


    Esther,
    let me know how it turns out, ok!


    Fong,
    I always love to see your versions!
    Tag me yeah in FB :)


    Deliah's Deli,
    thank you so so much for the inspiration and the recipe.
    It was a very delicious pie! Most important of all, easy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Wendy,

    It is looks great! BTW, instead of 200ml whipping cream and 50 ml of water, I wonder if I could use total of 250ml milk in the recipe?
    Thanks!

    Branda PW

    ReplyDelete
  18. i lke this 'pie' idea! easy and quicker than making real pie! haha! on my breakfast menu please!

    ReplyDelete
  19. BrandaPW,
    Can, the original recipe used milk.
    But it will taste less rich, definitely. You can brush some butter on the top before baking.
    Or top with cheese :)


    Lena,
    Wah, damn syiok as breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh, yum yum.....good for my supper now...and also my breakfast tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. woo....this is truly yummy....after work go to supermarket searching chicken meat(my hubby didnt eat beef),so i hope can do it this few day for my kids breakfast...thanks your sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. another weekend exploration for me....looks too good not to be missed ...bookmarked liao !!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so perfect for a quick lunch, and also to use up soon to expire bread loaf..

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is definitely a keeper. Looks so delicious. I always like easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is definitely something i'll be trying when i head to australia in winter because it's too hot to try here! love the idea of using old bread as the top because i've lots of those in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It does look very good, perhaps I can substitute with chicken or pork as I don't like to cook beef at home.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wendy, I'm drooling over this pie la~

    So special you used bread to replace the pastry, ingenious :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. yvonne,
    Yeah, Deliah was ingenious to think of this idea, hehehe, not me

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks so simple and delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can I make do with wholemeal sandwich bread instead?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Faith,
    Should be fine I guess.
    But personally, I find wholemeal breads taste different when being made into french toast,the grain smell is obvious. Not much to my liking, personally.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for your advice, Wendy. It's very much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Wendy, Can I assemble everything and put in the fridge, few hours before cooking and put into the oven 1/2 hour before serving? Jaynelle

    ReplyDelete
  34. Jaynelle,
    Should be alright, I think.
    REmember to cover with plastic wrap when you chill it

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks Wendy, Do you think it will be too 'heavy' if I cook your BLT pasta salad to go with this dish? Jaynelle

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yummy, this is one of my all time favorites...Thanks for sharing this recipe.


    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...