New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Potato Savoy Cabbage Soup - Soup Week #4




I bought this half head of savoy cabbage at Jaya Grocer and I had no idea what to do with it. As always whenever I see something new, I just buy it first, think later.

Savoy cabbages look very pretty, with lacy leaves and it comes nicely green unlike the regular cabbages. Since I’ve never eaten savoy cabbages before, I had no idea how it taste like. So, I better google for a recipe. I don’t want stir fries or salads. Nor do I want to do meat rolls with it, since it’s only a half head, the leaves will not be suitable. Then I saw a recipe on BBC Good Food, savoy cabbage soup with potatoes, sounds yummy and topped with crispy bacon!!!


Here’s my first attempt, cooking with savoy cabbage.
If you’re thinking of serving this as a side dish, maybe you’d like to think twice. It’s so hearty that it can be a meal on its own. This portion is enough to feed 4 adults.

Potato and Savoy Cabbage Soup
Recipe loosely adapted from BBC Good Food

150gm leeks (Try not to use China leeks)
200gm onions (I used yellow ones)
600gm floury potatoes (russet)
75gm carrots
500gm savoy cabbage
2 Tbsp olive oil
100gm bacon (bacon chips does it well, no need to splurge on rashers)
½ French loaf
Some butter (I used 2 heaped Tbsp initially, adding more as I toast the cubes on the pan)

1. Peel and thinly slice leeks, onions, potatoes and carrots
2. Heat up a pot and put in olive oil. Put in onions and leeks and cook until it softens and takes on a little bit of goldenness.
3. Put in sliced potatoes and carrots, stir and put in 8 cups of water.
4. Let it simmer for 15 minutes or until carrots are tender. Season with salt or throw in a chicken bouillon cube or 2.
5. Let it cool down for a while and whizz with a immersion blender until fine and smooth. (if using a regular blender, please leave it to cool down until slightly warm.
6. While waiting, prepare your croutons. Cube French loaf and heat a pan. Put in some butter and when it has melted, put in your cubed bread and toss it around to coat well. Put in more butter if you find it not sufficient. Slowly toast them on your pan until very golden and crispy.
7. Prepare bacon chips by frying in a little bit of oilon medium low heat until golden and crispy, dish up and drain off the oil on absorbent papers.
8. When it’s almost time to serve, reboil soup and put in sliced savoy cabbage and simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Ladle soup into bowl and top with crispy bacon chips and croutons.


Verdict:
Gosh , this soup is very delicious. Do not be fooled by how it looks, yellow and dirty looking. The bacon can be skipped, but don’t forget the croutons. Maybe I’m used to drinking western soups laced with loads of cream and when this one doesn’t, the butter from the croutons adds the “milky” smell that I will usually relate with western soups. My hubby and kids loved this and all were full from just having the soup.


17 comments:

  1. Jenn@ChasingFoodDreamsFebruary 17, 2011 at 11:51 AM

    I have seen cabbage soup and always wonder what it would taste like. Glad to know this is delicious. Do you think that there is a special taste with savoy cabbage compared to our normal ones? (just in case I cannot find savoy)

    Can't wait to try this.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn,
    Frankly, it's softer than regular white cabbage. The leaves taste a bit like Napa (chinese long). The wrinkly leaves gives a special mouthfeel to the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha...I love the buy first think later :) The soup looks delicious! And the cabbage looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice ! I am also like that. Buy first and think later :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my daugh will love it especially bacon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy,

    Just wanted to add that I usually make Western soups and thicken it by using russet potatoes. This is so that I do not need to add any cream to thicken it. It is also healthier. Try it. The only downside is the color. If I make carrot soup, the potato will make the color more whitish than the orangey colour that we associate our carrot soup with.

    OM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm,, got bacon, I like that very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cabbage is just beautiful and it looks like you put it to good use! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you must be kidding, it's yellow but not dirty looking! it looks appetising to me, honestly! unlike you, i dont like too much cream in my soup, this is a hearty soup for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Von,
    Haha, maybe women are like that. Hahah.


    Elin,
    Sometimes we just don't know when will we bump into the same thing again, right?


    Jes,
    Both my girls love it, especially each spoonful with a crouton


    OM,
    Somehow I still prefer the soup thickened with flour and cream, as potato seems to settle down after some time, but thanks for letting me know.


    Pete,
    I know u love pork, kekeke.



    Madison,
    Thanks, first time and it's not easy to come by.



    lena,
    I love dairy and everything that is bovine related, hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen this type of cabbage here but I always end up buy the normal white ones. I never try making soup with it. Interesting and sound delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty, the cabbage! I'll buy if I see them! Btw I bot some "broccoli flowers" only to find out from the net that they are Romanesco Cauliflowers...My MIL stir-fried them the normal way...before i find out more. Have you seen them before? They look like this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/12152023@N06/2260017587/in/set-72157602307461766/
    The one I bot is greener, like this:
    http://0.tqn.com/d/create/1/0/V/a/5/-/Romanesco.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh....I love this type of soup. Just pour over some rice and I'm one happy woman :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gert,
    Try them next time:)


    Meldylocks,
    I saw those before in Jusco, and some say they taste fab roasted. I've never one before.



    MaryMoh,
    Wow, with such a thick soup, you can eat it with rice? I can't do that myself. Haha, I prefer light brothy soups with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Searching high n low for this savoy cabbage. can't get at Jusco Ipoh though. Eager to try out. Any other place can get it please.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. esther,
    Ipoh tarak la. Really tarak.
    Must go KL. Too bad.
    But sometimes u may hit jackpot in Camerons.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ha-ha.... I'm the type to plant something and then figure out how to cook it. I happened upon your blog since I just harvested my first gorgeous savoy cabbage... and have no clue how to cook it. Thanks for sharing. I plan to try your recipe once I figure out the American measurements.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...